Monday, April 12, 2010

Library Appreciation Day

It's Library Appreciation Day here in the children's lit blogosphere, and that's definitely worth a second post today. My to-read shelf at home is pretty full, and I work in a bookstore. Logically, I shouldn't need to go to the library very often, unless I'm looking for something specific, right? Yeah, right.

I actually keep a steady stream of library books going. There's something empowering about selecting books to bring home and read, and it sure is nice to know that it doesn't really matter if I choose wrong. All I have to to do is bring the books back on time--and I can even renew them if I don't get through them fast enough. Talk about forgiving!

If I were a little newer to reading and a little more apprehensive about it, I know that freedom would make me feel better about trying it. No one bugs you in a library. You can take yourself on "reading retreats" or stare indecisively at the same stack for ridiculous periods of time. You can check out material at any reading level and on any subject without having to explain yourself.

I, for one, want to live in a community whose members can access books as easily as they can access television shows. Libraries, you have earned my appreciation and then some.


2 comments:

  1. no matter how many TBR books we have - the library is always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I complain about my job a lot, but something I love about it is being in a library and all the books, and what angers me is the people who just don't seem to get the idea of a communal book and the responsibility that entails. Because libraries are awesome. To quote a fictional TV character, "Yeah, I've got a thing about libraries, man. They're more sacred than churches to me and if somebody wants to pillage this temple, they've got to come through me."

    ReplyDelete