Monday, October 11, 2010

Naked rabbit dreams and other revelations from Kate DiCamillo

Kate DiCamillo lives far, far away. Although I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of the children's authors I admire over the past few years, KD remained one I knew only on paper (you know, the kind with really well-told stories written on it). But this weekend, I was part of an all-ages group at the Somerville Theatre that got to meet her, ask her questions, and see the film of Because of Winn-Dixie.

The Q&A was a definite highlight of the event, partly because of the audience members' eager questions and partly because of KD's panache in answering them. Much of that was in the delivery, so I won't try to reproduce it all here. But we learned that Winn-Dixie came about because of how badly she missed her dog, and that The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane started with... well, I must direct you to the title of this post. (Not that most rabbits are fully clothed, but Edward Tulane was by the time we knew him.)

I hadn't seen the Winn-Dixie movie before. It's a really great adaptation and reminded me of all the wonderful, heartwarming things about the book. Then the masses lined up (sort of) for book signing. When I told KD the title I was considering for this blog post, she laughed and said she'd probably have psychiatrists wanting to examine her.

I'm more worried about the hits I'm going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment