Monday, July 18, 2011

Not-so-stinky cheese


I recently saw a film made from a children's book. There was much I liked about the film; many of the little emotional moments were played just right, and it told a story well. But - and I'm being pseudo-cryptic here so I can deny it all to any who violently disagree - some moments in this film might be described as cheesy.

It's hard to avoid being overdramatic when you're showing a moment that characters, readers, and viewers have been awaiting for a significant portion of their real or fictional lives. Think about something you've wanted for as long as you can remember, something that everyone you know wants for you. In the movie of your life, what would the background music and camera angles be for the moment you attained that something? There's probably an understated way to play that kind of moment in a visual medium, but I don't know what it is, and I'm not sure Hollywood does, either. I can forgive Hollywood for that, and even thank it for giving me a few good laughs while I enjoyed its storytelling.

Still, epilogues, like strong cheese, are best used sparingly.

2 comments:

  1. yeah like theres anyone who does not know what movie you mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Specificity has been avoided to protect the innocent (me.) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete