Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Other awards: a round-up

Lemony Snicket has won the Charlotte Zolotow Award for The Dark. I'm always glad this award for writing in a picture book exists. The Caldecott recognizes illustration, which is one important aspect of picture books, but illustrations alone do not a picture book make. (Except when they do, and I'm sure there's been a debate at some point about whether a well-plotted wordless picture book could win the CZA.) In any case, I wonder how that kid in the All the Wrong Questions books would feel about the accolades in his future.

Aline Sax and Caryl Strzelecki have won the National Jewish Book Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature for The War Within These Walls. The Sydney Taylor Book Award for Younger Readers goes to The Longest Night:A Passover Story by Laurel Snyder; for Older Readers, to The Blessing Cup by Patricia Polacco; and for Teen Readers, to The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi. A good mix, and I'm glad The Blessing Cup wasn't judged by its picture book-sized cover.

The Edgar Awards have announced their nominees, and I'm pleased to see that there's both a Juvenile and a Young Adult category. Also, that's officially enough buzz that All the Truth That's in Me is now on my library-hold list.

Bo at Ballard Creek by Kirkpatrick Hill has won the Scott O'Dell Award. I hadn't known much about this one, but it looks like a good (if decades-later) read-alike for the Little House books.

And of course, the National Book Award is old news by now, but I'm happy to see The Thing About Luck getting so much attention.

What did I miss?





No comments:

Post a Comment