Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thanksblogging III: I'm thankful for old favorites.

My "to-read" shelf is more of an I Love Lucy-style conveyor belt, consisting of books in genres I write or might like to write, books that are popular, books on topics that interest me, books getting critical attention, books by authors I like, books by authors I haven't checked out yet, books in genres or on topics I don't know enough about, innovative books, friend-recommended books, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.


Goodnight Moon. A Little Princess. All-of-a-Kind Family. Cheaper by the Dozen. 

Did your breath just slow down a little? Mine did.

Maybe it's because all of the above were written and/or take place in times that we perceive as slower and simpler, but at least in my case, I think it's more about when I first encountered them. When I read the words "all-of-a-kind family," I hear them pronounced in my mother's voice.

Old favorites aren't necessarily entirely quiet and peaceful. Amy March throws Jo's manuscript into the fire. Anne of Green Gables walks a ridgepole, and it doesn't end well.

But they make me feel quiet and peaceful, and I'm thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment