Friday, April 27, 2012

A few things that made me happy this week

Thing 1: Stephen Colbert continues to demonstrate his respect for the children's book world by acting in character like he doesn't get it at all. His picture book I am a Pole and So Can You comes out May 8. Colbert celebrated by interviewing the embodiment of joy that is (the apparently potty-mouthed) Julie Andrews. There is discourse. There is singing. There is delight. (See if you can spot the one throwaway line that made me less than happy. Et tu, Julie?)

Thing 2: Charlie Kaufman, best-known for writing in a quirky manner about book-to-film adaptations and about people going  inside each other's heads, is going to write the film version of the Chaos Walking trilogy. It's a match made in Haven. (Sorry.)

Thing 3: Dr. Seuss. In space.

Thing 4: Fresh off the NESCBWI conference, I've done some examining of a character who had me perplexed, and I'm pleased to find that she's turned out more assertive than I might consciously have made her, and I think it works, at least for this draft. You go, girl! Now to stick you in some awkward situations...

Hope you've all had happy weeks!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent spotting job. And maybe that's true in many cases, but I know one (dress-wearing, scooter-loving, stereotype-busting) three-year-old girl who would definitely argue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrahs all around! I loved that Julie Andrews interview. I've always wanted to just sit on her lap and have her read Mandy to me, and now that I know she's a pottymouth, I love her even more, and I've given up on my plans to stop sounding like a sailor. If Maria von Trapp can do it, so can I.

    ReplyDelete